Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins


Here is another wonderful recipe to help you use up some of that summer zucchini! When these are baking it smells like autumn because of the spices & pumpkin. Think of how much nutrition must be in these muffins? Plenty of pumpkin and lots of zucchini, oh, and I also used some wheat flour in this recipe so they must have REALLY been nutritious! I made mine into muffins and added walnuts to about half the batch. They don't rise a lot so you can about fill the muffin cups right up to the top. This recipe is very flavorful, moist and has a dense crumb. Another change I made from the recipe listed below, I used half melted butter & half vegetable oil. That oil makes for a really smooth moist crumb! Another change I would consider for the next time would be use part brown sugar & part granulated.





Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
(I used 1/2 cup oil & 1/2 cup butter)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Add pumpkin, butter and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini and nuts. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until breads test done. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

how many muffins does this make?

Heidi said...

Whitewateford, I'm not sure how many muffins this made. I made a double recipe and I used a few different sizes of muffin pans. I would say a single recipe makes about 18 standard size muffins.

Heidi