Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Coconut cake with coconut cream cheese icing


Oh my word! If you like coconut, this cake is for you! Gosh this is good. I started with the "cream cake" recipe off of allrecipes.com then added my changes & my icing. This is a beautiful white cake with a very fine crumb. It's fluffy and velvety. There is no butter, oil or shortening in this recipe, the fat is all from the heavy whipping cream. I made a double recipe so I could use up my pint of heavy cream I had sitting in the fridge. The icing is just a made up concoction of 2 cubes of butter, an 8 oz bar of cream cheese, a pinch of salt, lots of powdered sugar, about a cup of cream of coconut (not coconut milk) & some whole milk to adjust the consistency. Whew! It's rich! If you have ever tasted cream of coconut, it's like coconut flavored sweetened condensed milk. Bartenders use it to make Pina Coladas. After finishing all of the cupcakes I ended up with a boatload of extra icing, so I just now mixed up another batch of "cream cake" but this time I used vanilla & lemon extract and put some flaked coconut in the batter. I figured the lemon coconut combination with the coconut icing would be a good match. Since there is no creaming of butter, this recipe is a flash to put together. If you are in a hurry, this is actually faster than a cake mix. I've gotten so many compliments on this cake. Usually I just use vanilla extract and make it a nice white/vanilla cake with white icing. My family does NOT like anything coconut but I was making these beautiful cupcakes for a friend so I got the chance to use my one bag of coconut. Please please try this recipe! It's so wonderful and easy!

Check out my new cupcake liners! I purchased a bunch of them online at layercakeshop.com.
It's a new website that sells so many different kinds of cupcake liners. I bought polka dot ones in every color and solid colors in a variety of colors. Prices weren't bad and fast delivery!




Look how much icing I piped onto each cupcake! The cupcake is so delicate & fluffy and the weight of the icing was pretty heavy on top.




Can't you just taste it?!!






Coconut Cream Cake
Based on a recipe from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
(or lemon or some other extract)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used cake flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x9 inch square pan.
2. Beat eggs in a small bowl until very thick. Add the sugar and the coconut & vanilla extracts, beating well.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. In three parts add the flour mixture alternately with the whipping cream to the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to get a few of these decadent looking cupcakes. They did not last long, I must admit they ended up being my dinner. SOOOOOOO good! Thanks Heidi!