Monday, August 10, 2009

Oreo Fudge Bars


This recipe is from bakingblonde.wordpress.com
It was orginally from allrecipes.com but Baking Blonde tried the recipe and put her own spin on it. I followed Baking Blondes recipe. I cannot say enough good things about this bar cookie. It is impossibly decadent, delicious and downright scrumptious. You MUST try this cookie! It's so simple and fairly quick but you must let the bars cool & then set before they are best. I tasted them while they were kind of warm and believe me, they were good but after setting through the night, they were the texture of fudge. It's basically like Oreo cookie fudge with a chocolate crust on the bottom. Absolutely sinful.

Next time I make these, I will not ground up the Oreo's so finely that I sprinkle on the top. I think the top of the cookie would look better with big chunks of Oreos. Maybe make note of that if you try making these. The recipe calls for mini chips on top but I used my favorite milk chocolate Guittard chips along with a handful of regular Nestle semi-sweet chips.



The recipe calls for a 16oz package of Oreos, well I wanted to save money so I purchased Target brand sandwich cookies and they came in a 18 oz package - and I used them all.

I found that when I mixed the crushed Oreos with the melted butter for the crust, that it seemed too wet - so I added some additional crushed cookies. I didn't want to have a soggy crust.


Oreo Fudge Bars


1 16oz. package of Oreo cookies
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (I used Fat Free)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (could use another 1/2 cup semi-sweet chips if you like)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325.
Line a 9×13 pan with foil and lightly spray with PAM.
Set aside 6 Oreo cookies for the toppings.
In a small food processor grind the rest of the cookies. If you don’t have a food processor, just pound with a rolling pin until the cookies are fine crumbs. Add the salt to the crumbs and stir to combine.
Melt butter and gently stir together with the cookie crumb mixutre.
Press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Coarsely chop the remaining cookies into chunks and set aside.
Over a double boiler or in the microwave, melt 3/4 cup semi-sweet and 1/2 cup milk chocoalte chips together with the condensed milk and vanilla.
Stir frequently until smooth.
Spread evenly over the prepared cookie crust.
Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips and the Oreo cookies chunks over the top of the filling. Press down gently into the chocolate topping.
Bake for 20-22 minutes oven.
Allow to cool on counter for 1 hour. Chill in fridge until completely cold and set before cutting into bars or it will make a big mess.
*These are not too great hot from the oven but are great after chilling and the filling has set!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your bars look amazing!

Joyce said...

Totally out of control with these and loving this recipe:)
Joyce

Tia said...

omg... they look so sinful!``