Thursday, August 6, 2009

Another Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Here we go again....another chocolate chip cookie recipe. Every once in awhile I just get this strong urge to make chocolate chip cookies and I feel like I cannot just keep making the same old recipe because then I would have nothing to post on my blog because I've already blogged about that certain recipe. So I'm always on the lookout for a new recipe. Today's recipe is pretty basic but it's different because it uses half shortening and half butter. I was going to tell you that it's based on a recipe I found on allrecipes.com but since I made so many changes, I cannot claim it's the same recipe. Even though I love the taste of butter, I love the texture that shortening brings to cookies. Shortening definitely gives cookies more of a crunch factor and they don't spread as much as all butter cookies. The recipe on allrecipes.com called for all "butter flavored shortening" which I do not have and usually do not purchase because I think it tastes fake. That's why I resorted to 1/2 butter and 1/2 regular shortening because I could get the butter flavor but the shortening texture. The result is a delicious cookie with a chewy middle and crisp edges and it's not too thin but not really thick either. They taste like a true chocolate chip cookie. I used 1/2 milk chips & 1/2 semi sweet, as always, and I added a LOT of chips. I like my cookies loaded with chips! The cookie dough for this recipe seemed really thin and that is after I added more flour than the recipe called for. You aren't able to take a scoop of this dough and roll it into a ball in your hands. Definitely had to use my scooper. I figured the cookie dough would turn into a big flat pool in the oven but I think the shortening prevented that.
So if you are in the mood for a good chocolate chip cookie (always) then try this recipe. I know you will enjoy them!
You can tell from this photo how sticky the dough is. It tasted wonderful but I had my doubts about the outcome.

I just can't seem to make a single batch of anything. I made a triple batch of these! But I did keep in mind that I have an upcoming bake sale to bake for so I put most of them in the freezer.

Check out the slightly crisp edges.


I know this photo does not show much but my lighting was bad and I was in a hurry.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (maybe a bit more)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
1.
Preheat oven to 320 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla .Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
3.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until light brown. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely







1 comment:

cookies and cups said...

I have seen in a few recipes a half and half of butter and shortening instead of all butter and wondered how they came out...they look great!