Sunday, January 2, 2011

Classic Diner Cheesecake


This is one of the creamiest cheesecakes I have ever eaten.  I'm surprised that it sliced so neatly because the texture was ultra smooth and creamy.  I found this cheesecake recipe in a book called Diner Desserts, by Trish Boyle.  This book had been in storage so I have not used it for years.  It was fun to open it up and look at it again.  It seemed brand new to me.

I think this cheesecake is the only one I have ever baked that did not end up with a crack in it.  NOT ONE single crack!  Flawless.  Not that that has anything to do with a cheesecake's flavor or texture, but it is one of those often elusive goals that cheesecakes bakers strive for.  I made a little more of the graham cracker crust mixture than called for because I wanted a crust on the sides as well.  The recipe does not mention to spray or grease your springform pan, but I did even though it's non stick.  I ended up baking my cheesecake a lot longer than the recipe calls for and it probably could have used about 5 more minutes of baking.

This is a wonderful cheesecake recipe.  If you like the more dry crumbly texture of a classic cheesecake, then you won't like this one.  It's so creamy and smooth with big vanilla flavor.  In fact, I added the scrapings of 1 vanilla bean along with the pure vanilla extract.









 Since we have moved, I have taken dozens of boxes out of storage.  Last week I came across this retro diner cake dome.  Perfect for this classic diner cheesecake!







Classic Diner Cheesecake
from Diner Desserts by Tish Boyle

Crust:

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Cheesecake Filling:

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 pounds cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon lemon zest (I did not add this)

Directions:

To make graham cracker crust, preheat oven to 500 degrees.

In bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs & sugar. Add butter & toss all together with a fork.  Pat the mixture into a 9 inch springform pan.

To make cheesecake filling:

Stir together in a bowl, the flour & sugar. Set aside.

In an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on low speed until smooth. Beat in the vanilla. Gradually add the sugar/flour mixture, beating on low speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add eggs, one at a time. Scrape bowl as necessary. Beat in the sour cream, heavy cream & zest. Scrape batter into prepared pan.

Bake the cheesecake for 10 minutes at 500 degrees. Reduce heat to 200 and keep oven door open for a couple of minutes to let some heat escape. Close the door and continue to bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour. Turn oven off and prop open door with wooden spoon.  Leave cheesecake in the warm oven for an additional hour.  Transfer cheesecake to wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate cake, covered with plastic wrap for at least 4 hours before serving.

12 comments:

briarrose said...

Wow...amazing cheesecake.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Heidi, Welcome back! I have never tried Trish Boyle recipes before, but I have enjoyed reading her blog, I think that her bakes are amazing. Wishing you A Happy New Year!

Karen said...

Wecome back.
I am so happy you posted this recipe since I got a springform pan for Christmas specifically to bake my son cheesecakes in!
I will definitely be trying it out. Looks good.

urban muser said...

I love cheesecake. That looks so amazing!

Nicole@The Dirty Oven via twitter @ovenloving said...

Love your blog post...and the photos of the whole cake are just lovely! I am drooling over your cake and your cake dome. Thanks so much for sharing. Glad to see your black blogging.

sheila @ Elements said...

How beautiful!!!! You really did a great job!!! Wish I could have a slice right now!!! :)

Anna said...

That is one amazing looking cheesecake! I'd buy the book based on that alone. Wow.

Anonymous said...

I made this for Christmas Eve last week. I'm not a fan of crust on cheesecakes, so I left that out. It was delicious! Looking for an excuse to make it again (after I lose those holiday pounds I put on)!

Erica said...

Thinking about trying this recipe out for my niece's birthday.. How much longer, than what the recipe calls for, would you say that you baked it?

Heidi said...

Erica, This is just a guess but I would say an extra half hour. When my timer rang for the original time it was supposed to be done, I gave my cheesecake a good jiggle to test for doneness. It shouldnt be soupy but the MIDDLE should still slightly jiggle. Not the entire surface of the cheesecake but just the middle third I'd say. The cheesecake will still have a lot of residual heat when it's removed from the oven so it will continue to bake a bit after it's removed. Plus, even if it looks too jiggly in the middle to you, after the cheesecake is completely cooled and then chilled several more hours, it will have set up nicely and slice very neatly. I have taught myself that I should remove the cheesecake before I think it looks done. But you definitely have to make sure it's thoroughly chilled before slicing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi, recipe looks gorgeous! I'm planning on making a vanilla cheesecake, and both your Classic Diner Cheesecake and Vanilla Bean Cheesecakes look fantastic. Could you recommend a better one? Which one do you prefer? Thank you!

Heidi said...

I think both the diner cheesecake and the vanilla bean one are great choices. I don't really think I have a preference. They are both fantastic.