Thursday, December 31, 2009

Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies


These are different. I have many holiday dessert & cookie magazines that I have collected over the years. This Cuisine at Home Holiday Cookie magazine is from a year or two ago. I was browsing through it yesterday and came across this chocolate chip cookie recipe. It was such a unique recipe that I had to try it. I always love trying a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. The Rice Krispie part is different but it's the addition of vegetable oil that I thought was the most unique part. These cookies have a good flavor indeed, but the texture is what I'm not sure about. They have a light & sandy texture. I'm sure that is in part due to the addition of cream of tartar. I can't even think of another cookie to compare them to but the texture is reminiscent of some other sort of cookie texture. Yes, they certainly are crispy but it's a very light crispy texture not crunchy.....if that makes sense. I think there would be plenty of folks who would enjoy these cookies but I prefer the dense chewy cookies that I usually bake.

But these cookies look wonderful and the flavor is delicious and if you like light crispy cookies that have kind of a melt in your mouth kind of texture, then you will love these!







Chocolate Chip Cookies with Crispy Rice Cereal
From my Cuisine at Home Holiday Cookies Magazine

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup crisp rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
1/4 cup oats
1 tsp. each: baking soda, cream of tartar, table salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F; line two baking sheets with parchment paper

Whisk flour, cereal, oats, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt together in a bowl; set aside.

Cream butter with both sugars in a bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy.

Add oil, egg, and vanilla, then beat until blended Stir in the chocolate chips and flour mixture just until flour is incorporated.

Drop dough in 3 T. mounds onto prepared baking sheets, spacing abut 2” apart. Bake 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are set and golden around the edges. Let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a rack.

No comments: