Monday, March 14, 2011

Coconut cupcakes in tulip papers


This recipe started with "my now favorite white cake recipe".


I had a party at my house on Saturday night and wanted to bake something with coconut in it.  My family does not like coconut so I don't often bake with it because I love it and I don't want to be the only person eating it!  I decided on coconut cake.  Then I remembered I had bought these darling pink tulip cupcake papers at Michaels the other week and my thoughts went to cupcakes.  My favorite white cake recipe uses a cake mix and I figured I could use that as a base recipe.  Yes, I do like to bake from scratch but this cake recipe that I had found on Cake Central years ago is such a winner that I wanted to start with it.  I changed the water it called for to coconut milk and instead of almond extract, I used coconut (along with some vanilla extract) plus I threw in a large handful of shredded sweetened coconut.  Then I made a cream cheese buttercream with a touch of coconut extract and sprinkled some more shredded coconut on top.  These cupcakes were sooo delicious.  You can easily cut this recipe in half but I made the whole thing and it made 24 very full cupcakes AND a double layer 8 inch cake.  I filled my 8 inch layer cake with a thick layer of raspberry jam then iced the outside with the cream cheese icing and sprinkled the whole thing with shredded coconut.  I love the combination of raspberry & coconut.  I'm thinking I could have pulled out a plug from the cupcake and put a teaspoon of raspberry in there before icing them...hmmm?  That would have been delicious.

But anyway, this was a lovely textured cake.  The shredded coconut made it a bit "shaggy" when you sliced it and you can easily leave out the coconut but the 1 teaspoon of coconut extract was the perfect amount. Very subtle flavor and I suppose you could up the amount of coconut extract to 2 teaspoons. 

If you are not opposed to using a doctored cake mix, then I highly recommend this recipe or the white cake recipe that I have linked above.  I don't think you'll regret it! Oh, and be sure you use the white cake mix that does not have the pudding already added, such as Duncan Hines.  That will give you the best result.

If you want tulip cupcake papers, I found these at Michael's Craft store but I also saw them at Joanne Fabrics & Crafts.  They came in lavendar & yellow also. I think they are Wilton brand and they come in a box of 24 papers. Aren't they just too cute?  Everyone at the party was ooohing and aahhing about them. Very spring like. Oh, and the pink flowers that are on top, I bought in bulk from http://www.cakedeco.com/. They are gum paste flowers.

Enjoy!





Coconut Cake


•2 boxes white cake mix

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 teas. salt

8 egg whites

2 2/3 cups coconut milk (I used a whole can then made up the remainder with water)

 
4 Tbls. vegetable oil

2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream

2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor

1 teaspoon coconut extract

1-2 cups shredded sweetened coconut

Instructions

Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees

8 comments:

Maria said...

lovely! i love cakes or cupcakes that are made from coconut. must try for me

Sofie said...

elegant cupcakes and i love your tulip paper

kitchen flavours said...

Your cupcakes looks so pretty and elegant! Too pretty to be eaten but looks too yummy to resist!

Christina said...

Those are the most beautiful cupcakes I've ever seen! The flower on top is the perfect finishing touch.

MitziB said...

I can't wait to make these. How can I get the recipe for the frosting?

Anonymous said...

BEST COCONUT CUPCAKES I EVER MADE!! Took them to a gathering they were a HUGE HIT!!! Thank u for posting it♥♥♥♥♥

kaylynnczy said...

GIRL. These are AMAZING! I used your recipe in a cheesecake cake and posted it on my blog. OF COURSE I linked back to you! Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe! http://amongtheyoung.com/radiant-orchid/

Anonymous said...

What is your recipe for the cream cheese frosting you used? It looks fabulous!