Monday, March 21, 2011

Better Homes Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've had my Better Homes & Gardens Cookie Book for years. Probably 15 or more years.  It was one of the first baking books I bought.  After that I went on to purchase more baking books that were fancier & not so unexciting.  In fact, I kind of snubbed my nose at my Better Homes book (along with my Better Crocker).  I hadn't even looked in my Better Homes book for years & I'm not sure why I picked it up yesterday but I did and I came across this basic chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I guess the big difference in this recipe for chocolate chip cookies and ones that I usually try is that it calls for shortening. The recipe also calls for adding the baking soda in with the butter - not with the rest of the dry ingredients. That's different.  I had no idea how much I would LOVE these cookies!  They were close to perfect.  I would definitely make this recipe again.  Thick, chewy with slightly crisp edges.  Just wonderful.  The recipe also called for the options of nuts - which I never add and didn't this time.  I think I added slightly more chips than called for but hey, that's what I always do.
So if you have the urge to bake up some major comfort food, specifically chocolate chip cookies, try this recipe! Easy & delicious!
Enjoy!










Better Homes & Gardens Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients


1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 12-ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces

Directions

In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and baking soda. Beat mixture until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 60 cookies.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Thanks for posting this. My edition of BHG calls for different amounts of butter, shortening, and baking soda, and my cookies were turning out flat and soggy. Made this version last night and they were perfect.