Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins


I needed to find a quick recipe to throw together so I could bring a friend some home baked goodies. I hate to go empty handed to someone's house! Gosh, was this an awesome recipe that I chose. I found it on allrecipes.com and it received rave reviews. I included the recipe below exactly as it was on allrecipes. My changes were to add a splash of vanilla and to use partially whole wheat flour. Oh, and I doubled the streusel recipe part. I would definitely recommend that you double the steusel - it ended up being just enough to cover all 23 of my muffins. (the recipe claims it makes 18 but mine made 23 very full regular size muffins). I used one large honeycrisp apple and it was just the right amount. Don't cut the apple chunks too small because they seem to disappear when cut too small.

I highly recommend this recipe to anyone who loves pumpkin and apples and I would like to think it's somewhat healthy. Many folks who reviewed this recipe substitued applesauce instead of the oil but I'm not going to go that far for nutrition!




Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons butter
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin and oil. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stirring just to moisten. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
3. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffin batter.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

No comments: