Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Maryann's Chocolate Cake

This is another Cake Doctor recipe. I pull out that book when I'm short on time. I had no reason for making these cupcakes other than it just sounded fun. Do you ever just bake on a weeknight just because it sounds fun? I don't even walk in the door from work until about 7:00 pm and then I go to bed about 10:00 but I manage to bake something in those 3 hours along with making dinner, doing laundry, getting the kids ready for bed, playing with the kids and surfing baking blogs! It's nights like these when a cake mix really comes in handy. But anyway, these cupcakes were delicious. Very light and fluffy in texture which kind of surprised me because so many other ingredients were added to the cake mix. I used a dark chocolate cocoa powder which really made them super chocolatey. I iced them with a nice rich, sweet buttercream frosting! Chocolate & vanilla...can't beat that classic combo.







Maryann's Chocolate Layer Cake
From The Cake Doctor Returns

1 white or yellow plain cake mix
1 package (3.9 oz) chocolate instant pudding mix
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/3 cups water
1 cup chocolate syrup
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare Pans (The Cake Doctor makes this as a layer cake - I made cupcakes)


Mix all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds until combined. Stop mixer and scrape bowl. Continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scraping bowl if needed. Pour into pans. Bake until top springs back when lightly touched.

3 comments:

Karine said...

These look good! Thanks for sharing :)

gayter2009 said...

These look great Heidi. What do you put together to make your buttercream frosting?

Gayle

Heidi said...

My buttercream icing consists of unsalted butter, sometimes I put a large scoop of Crisco in there, clear vanilla (to keep it white), a pinch of salt, whole milk and I keep adding powdered sugar until it's the thickness that I want. Sometimes I add more milk, then sugar, then milk, then sugar etc. until it's perfect. I would like to say that I use no shortening but I must admit that shortening does give the icing an appealing texture and appearance and it holds up so well. So that's why I tend to put a scoop of Crisco in there. So basically, I have no set recipe for my buttercream, I just kind of tailor it according to the item that I'm icing and how much butter I have in the fridge!