Saturday, November 21, 2009

Crispy Oatmeal Cookies

The thing about these cookies is that they look.....well, ugly. This photo does not really capture their unattractiveness, but trust me, they were. They were ultra flat - so flat they were almost transparent. But I suppose that thinness is what makes them so crisp. The recipe calls for flattening the dough before baking. I didn't and I'm not sure why they even request it since they had no problem flattening by themselves. They certainly are delicious and they have so much oatmeal in them they definitely taste like a true classic oatmeal cookie. My family prefers thin crunchy cookies while I prefer thick, chewy & cakey. So I try to find crispy cookie recipes when I can. These cookies had gotten rave reviews on allrecipes.com and like I said, they are wonderful cookies. I just wonder if they will stay crispy after storing them?





Crisp Oatmeal Cookies

Based on a recipe from Allrecipe.com

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats

Directions

  1. Cream together shortening, margarine, and sugars.
  2. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
  3. Mix in flour,spices, salt, and baking soda. Add oats & Mix well.
  4. Shape into long rolls and roll in wax paper. Chill until firm.(I simply used my small cookie scoops and place the chilled dough right onto the cookie sheet - did NOT flatten).
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  6. Slice 1/4 inch slices and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press with fork dipped in milk.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes.

3 comments:

Ms. Humble said...

Your photography skills are way better than mine if you can make an "ugly" cookie look that good.

Yum!

I love oatmeal cookies. Even though I prefer the soft, chewy style cookies too, I bet these would make amazing cookie-ice cream sandwiches. I'm want to make them and stuff them with an excessive amount of cinnamon ice-cream.

Becky said...

Those look delicious! I can see them being really good with butterscotch chips ... hmmm.

MaryBeth said...

OMG...what a wonderful looking cookie. My husband simply loves all oatmeal cookies and he would just eat these all up