Monday, July 13, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Ok, you can call this zucchini "bread" all you want but this is definitely a cake. This will be added to my favorite recipes collection for sure! We picked our first 2 zucchini from the garden yesterday and I was so excited to make something with it. This cake is sooo moist and so flavorful. I cannot even describe how delicious it is. It's a combination of a few different chocolate zucchini bread recipes that I've made in the past. This has more chocolate than any of them. I did not have any unsweetened chocolate on hand so I just used semi sweet chocolate chips to melt. I added a combination of milk & semi sweet chips at the end when I folded them in with the grated zucchini. The texture of this cake is like a dense fudgy brownie. The crackly sort of top kind of resembles brownies also. My kids ate this "bread' this morning for breakfast. Basically, they had chocolate cake for breakfast. "But there is nutritious zucchini in there!", I kept saying to myself. When I first told them it was zucchini bread, they wrinkled their nose and said "EEEEWWW, I hate zucchini!!!". I told them to just try it. They did and they loved it. And of course when I had to slice a loaf to take photos of it, that loaf had to be eaten! Sooo good! I very much recommend this recipe. Especially if you like chocolate!



Folding in the zucchini!


Into the mini loaf pans!




Look at the crackly top! Just like brownies!


Fudgy & moist!




Chocolate Zucchini Bread


Ingredients:
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
3 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate until melted. Stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth. Add the oil to the melted chocolate and mix well. Set aside
2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, vanilla & beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Alternate the melted chocolate mixture and the flour mixture, mixing it into the egg/sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini & chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean.






3 comments:

♥Rosie♥ said...

This cake looks fudgy and decadent - what a treat! Do I love chocolate do I and I must bookmark this recipe :0)

Anonymous said...

All of your baking look so good! I love it all, specially the cakes. This zucchini bread is a keeper!
Paula

junko said...

yum!! This looks so good. I don't have a garden yet :( but my MIL gives me TONS of fresh zucchini from her garden! I can't wait to try this recipe!