Sunday, May 24, 2009

Black & white cake

I made this cake on Saturday morning. It was the result of an accident. Long story short - I was going to make my parents a layer cake to bring to this picnic potluck that they were attending. I decided on Paula Deen's strawberry cake. I made it - it looked pretty wimpy, layers looked quite thin, so I quickly mixed together a white cake mix and my thought was I was going to add a white layer in between the 2 pink strawberry layers. The strawberry layers did not turn out (not sure what I did wrong but that recipe sucked! It received many good reviews though). So now I had 2 white layers and my husband then tells me "You can't bring a LAYER cake to a picnic!". Ok. So I quickly looked on the back of my Hershey's cocoa can and whipped up the chocolate cake recipe in a 13x9 inch pan. A snack cake, I figured, would be perfect for a picnic. The chocolate batter was too much for the pan (The pan turned out to be SMALLER than 13x9) so I poured the restof the batter into a 9 inch cake pan. I made some delicious cream cheese icing and iced the STILL warm chocolate snack cake - which I know is a no no, to ice a warm cake but my parents were going to pick it up in like 5 minutes!!!! So then I had the extra chocolate layer left and the white layer and some leftover icing. THAT is how this cake came to be! It was tasty though!














No comments: