I guess I'm a little late in the game with these brownies. Why had I not heard of them till last week when people have been baking, eating & posting them for months? I knew I had to make them when I finally did read about them. The recipe below is not the EXACT recipe I used but I had looked at so many blogs that had these brownies posted that I forgot which blog I copied the recipe from and I'm sorry about not giving you credit for it! Most of the recipes resulted in a 9x9 pan but I wanted to use a 13x9 inch pan, which the recipe below uses.
These are heavenly! Honestly, how can you go wrong with chocolate chip cookie dough, Oreo cookies and fudgy brownies all together? I topped it all off with some colorful sprinkles because I think sprinkles just make everything better! These brownies are super thick but they do deflate a bit upon cooling. The middle of the pan remained very soft & fudgy and gooey. Not underdone but just right. The sides of the pan were a bit more done with some crunchy edges which some people really love. I prefer the fudgy center which I show you in these photos!
They may look complicated to put together but they are not. They come together rather quickly actually but they take quite awhile to bake because they are so thick. I did not go by the time the recipe stated, I just kept checking in on my own.
Of course if you do not have a huge sweet tooth, you will not like these. They are rich, decadent, sweet & just plain delicious!
For the Cookie Base:
- 1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed (10.5 oz) light brown sugar
- 12 Tb unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (12 oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package Oreo Cookies
For the Brownie Layer:
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso (optional)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (17 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- For the Cookie Base: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9″ x 13″ pan with parchment or grease well. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar and melted butter together. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Using rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture until just combined. Do NOT overmix. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Layer Oreo's across cookie dough as tightly as possible, breaking any extra cookies to fit empty spaces.
- For the Brownie Layer: Whisk cocoa, espresso powder (if using), and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. (Mixture may look curdled.) Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined.
- Scrape batter over Oreo layer and bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool 1½ hours.