Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Blackberry Muffins with Lime Glaze


It's been awhile since I've made muffins.  I came across an interesting looking muffin recipe on one of my favorite blogs this past weekend - My Baking Addiction Blog.  I just really had the urge to make them! She put blueberries in hers but I had a big container of fresh blackberries that I wanted to use.  So mine are blackberry muffins with lime glaze.  Sounds good huh?  I wasn't so impressed.  I mean, they are ok but not terrific. The flavor is kind of bland and I put at LEAST double the amount of extract, if not tripled it.  I think maybe I mixed mine too much because she described her muffins as having a tender doughnut like texture, mine were not super tender and they were more cake like.  I even sifted all of my dry ingredients together.  She put a lemon glaze on hers but I figured that lime would go better with blackberries so I used a mixture of fresh squeezed lime juice and powdered sugar for my glaze. The glaze is the best part.  They would be SUPER bland without the tart lime flavor.  So.....all in all, these muffins are perfectly acceptable but they need a little more of a flavor pop.





Blackberry Doughnut Muffins
Based on recipe from My Baking Addiction


1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 1/3 cup fresh blackberries

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin, or line with 12 paper muffin cups.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating to combine.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined. Fold in the blackberries.
4. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.
5. Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they’re a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
6. Prepare the glaze. (I used lime juice with powdered sugar - I doubled glazed mine)
7. When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. At this point, you can leave them as is or go for the double dip. I glazed my muffins twice.
8. Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Muffins will keep at room temperature for about a day.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've never posted a comment, but thought I would cross that off my bucket list. I love baking - pretty passionate about it. I have done a lot of homework on baking muffins and have come up with a formula that works terrific and the muffins are always tender. I only use butter, never oil. The flour/sugar combo is using 1/2 the amount of sugar you use to the amount of flour. Liquid is 1/2 milk and 1/2 sour cream or 1 C buttermilk. Now let me tell you I like the idea of using lime juice for the top frost.