Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Trisha Yearwood's banana bread

It's difficult to capture banana bread's yumminess in photos.  It's not very exciting looking but trust me, this recipe is awesome! I found it in my Trisha Yearwood cookbook.  I will definitely make it again.  And if you have followed my blog in the past and have noticed my other banana bread recipes, I have to always add a cinnamon/brown sugar struesel.  I tried it years ago and will never again make banana bread without it.  The struesel takes a delicious recipe and makes it close to perfect.  I have no certain formula for the struesel, I just mix about a teaspoon of cinnamon with about a cup of brown sugar. And then I pour a small amount of batter into the loaf pan, just enough to cover the bottom, then I sprinkle it with a thick layer of the struesel mixture and then top it with more batter. And if I have some extra cinnamon/brown sugar mixture remaining, I sprinkle it on top of the batter before baking. I made a double recipe of this banana bread and it made 8 mini loaf pans. 
This recipe is extremely moist and has wonderful flavor.  I really loved the texture.  Maybe try using the struesel suggestion if you make this.  I bet you won't ever make it without it again!
Enjoy!




 Ashley's Banana Bread (Trisha's niece)
from Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen by Trisha Yearwood


3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 large eggs
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 t. vanilla
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 loaf pans.

With an electric mixer or stand alone mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in the bananas and vanilla. Sift flour together with the baking soda and salt and add to the mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in nuts.

Pour the batter into the loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes. Cool slightly in the pan before turning the loaves out onto wire racks to cool completely.

9 comments:

raquel@eRecipe.com said...

I am a banana bread fan. For me, this is a better way enjoy it =)Yummy!

michelle said...

This is a friendly correction.I thought it was an important item to change. The original recipe calls for 3/4 C butter. When you typed your recipe, you said it needed 1 1/2 C butter. I just don't want anyone to have a disaster with their banana bread. Have a great day!

Heidi said...

Thank you for noticing the incorrect amount of butter! I've made the correction.

Polly Elliott said...

If I make this in mini loaf pans or JUMBO muffins how long to I cook it?? Looks amazing with the extra touch!! Thanks,
Polly

Anonymous said...

Seriously the best bread I have had, the cinnamon/sugar layer makes the difference! Thanks for sharing1!

Anonymous said...

Where is the cinnamon and sugar layer ingredients listed? Looks delicious!

Heidi said...

I mention my formula for the cinn/sugar layer in my description above. I posted the actual banana bread recipe as it is in my Trisha Yearwood cookbook. It's not necessary to use the cinn/sugar layer. It's just my personal addition & preference and I never measure the ingredients. I just kind of throw some random amounts together.

Anonymous said...

I a little confused by your measurement abbreviations. The lower case "t"...typically I assume Tblspn but then maybe it should be an Upper case. I tried checking your other recipes and you are not consistent about this & it can really mess up the recipe! Help!

Heidi said...

I may not be consistent. I will have to pay more attention to that! This banana bread recipe is all teaspoons.