Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dark Chocolate Layer Cake with White Icing


The icing that I used on this dark chocolate cake was delicious.  I never thought I'd like an icing that has so much shortening in it.  It calls for a full 2 cups shortening but I used 1 cup butter & 1 cup shortening.  I just love the taste of butter too much to not use any.  The heavy whipping cream that I used in it made it so lucious and creamy.  I beat it on high for a long time and it became so light and fluffy.  I used clear vanilla so it was almost completely white.  If I would have used the full 2 cups of shortening it would have been ultra white.  I would definitely make this wonderful icing again.  I tried to capture it's whipped texture in the photos. 

The chocolate cake I had made previously, years before.  On my notes, I had written that it was very moist and delicious.  This time, I thought it was just ok.  It was a perfect amount of chocolate and the crumb was nice and tender and fine but it didn't have a really moist crumb.  I know I didn't overbake it because I was sure to remove it from the oven when there was moist crumbs on the toothpick.  Maybe it had too much flour...although I had measured carefully.  But....it was certainly delicous, just not perfect.  I had made it for a birthday cake and everyone raved about it. I found both of the recipes on allrecipes.com.


Dark Chocolate Cake
allrecipes.com

Ingredients:


2 cups boiling water

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter, softened

2 1/4 cups white sugar

4 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 3 - 9 inch round cake pans. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Spread batter evenly between the 3 prepared pans.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool.



Rick's Special Buttercream Frosting
allrecipes.com


Ingredients:


2 cups shortening (I used 1 cup butter & 1 cup shortening)

8 cups confectioners' sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup heavy whipping cream



Directions:

1. In a mixing bowl, cream shortening until fluffy. Add sugar, and continue creaming until well blended.

2. Add salt, vanilla, and 6 ounces whipping cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional 2 ounces whipping cream if necessary. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy

13 comments:

Lisa said...

Chocolate cake is one of those desserts that is always a pleaser and with all that fluffy frosting on top, your cake is a hit.

What's Baking?? said...

Hi Heidi, I love chocolate and I love to experiment recipes with chocolate. Your cake looks yummy and the icing looks so fluffy and light!

Anonymous said...

Heidi, so many thanks for posting this. Cake is in oven and just made frosting and in LOVE with it! Fantastic! Cheers

Dawn said...

Can this cake be made in a 9x13 pan?
Thank you
Dawn

Heidi said...

Yes it can be made in a 13x9 inch pan. BUT it might be too much better for that pan. Doesnt mean u cant use a 13x9. Fill it about 1/2 full with batter and then use another small pan (or cupcake tin) for the remainder of the batter.

Heidi said...

Also....make sure to adjust baking time. 13x9 takes a lot longer than 9 inch layers. Test for doneness

Anonymous said...

Does this frosting work well for decorating cakes

Anonymous said...

Yes it would work well as long as not too soft.

Anonymous said...

I am planning on using this recipe for my birthday cake but, I was just wanting to make a sheet cake. How big a pan would I need to make enough for like 6 people.

Anonymous said...

U can use a 13x9 cake pan or anything bigger. The bigger the pan is the thinner the cake will be. If u want a true thin sheet cake, I would say all that cake batter would fit the 3/4 sheet pan which is 15x21inches.it would feed a lot more than 6 but it would be a true sheet cake!

Anonymous said...

I have never ever used shortening therefore, I would love to know what kind to purchase please

Anonymous said...

There is a Walmart brand specifically for baking. Forgot exactly label but it's a blue container. Walmart makes 2 versions but only 1 for baking. THATS the one u want

Anonymous said...

Can you use crisco shortening? Or does it have to be the Walmart brand shortening? Getting ready to make this cake for Thanksgiving so a quick reply would be great. Thank you