Saturday, April 16, 2011

Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies


For all of my fellow bakers, let me ask you this..... Do you ever get sick of making chocolate chip cookies? I personally find it so familiar and comforting to make them. I'd rather bake chocolate chip cookies then anything else. I can't possibly make them too much and there are SO many different recipes to try. It seems everyone is always trying to achieve the "best" cookie. All of the recipes are somewhat similar and I swear to god that I have made the same recipe 50 times but each recipe is called something different and from a new source. I get so excited every time I come across a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. I always have such high hopes. Always hoping that this next one will be "the one"!! But the problem is, I'm not sure what exactly that means and I know that means different things to different people. I value the qualities in almost each and every recipe. I love thin cookies, thick cookies, crisp cookies, chewy cookies, slightly underbaked, semi sweet chips, milk chocolate chips the list goes on. For THIS post I really mixed it up. I took an awesome regular chocolate chip cookie recipe and added some broken Oreo bits along with some milk chocolate & semi sweet chocolate chips. I thought it would be interesting but had no idea how wonderful they would be. I love this combination!! The cookies I made are huge and soft & chewy. I would definitely make these again. It's up to you how many Oreo cookie bits you want to add. Since I just kind of invented the recipe as I went along, I just kept adding cookies till it looked about right. I'd say there are about 25-30 cookies in there. I used regular Oreos, not double stuffed but I'm sure those would work really well. I also added 1 bag of Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips & 1 bag of Guittard Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (Bartells has Guittard chips on sale right now for $1.99 a bag! That's an awesome deal!). You can also totally leave out the chips and add only Oreos. I recently read another baking blog where the woman added a bunch of Oreos along with cookies & cream white chocolate discs. That's sound delicious! It's so fun to experiment with chocolate chip cookie possibilities! You can experiment with your personal favorite cookie recipe but I will post below the one that I used for these cookies. It's definitely a good one!









 
Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies


2 cups butter, softened (4 cubes)
2 cups white sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
4 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons hot water
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (1 bag)
2 cups milk chocolate chips (1 bag)
About 25-30 Oreo cookies broken into small pieces

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips & Oreo bits. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.

3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm... think I might have to try these! I love oreos, but love homemade cookies more. This is a great idea!

Unknown said...

These look wonderful - a very decadent combination!

Unknown said...

Made these last night! They turned out great! :)

Unknown said...

Hello can you make this using half the amount of chocolate chips.

Heidi said...

Yes you can use half the chips but of course that will affect the results. They will still be delicious but not as chocolaty.