Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cracklin Oat Bran Apple Muffins




Cracklin Oat Bran Cereal. It's been around forever. I remember eating it as a snack when I was a lot younger. It taste like little crunchy oatmeal cookies with a touch of cinnamon. Although my boys say it looks like cat food. I had not bought this cereal in years - I can't even remember the last time but I came across a muffin recipe that uses them so I bought a box. The recipe that I found online was supposedly on the cereal box years ago. I made so many changes to the recipe that I must say it was "adapted" from that original recipe but kind of nowhere near it. These were indeed tasty and I would like to think somewhat healthy - probably healthier if I left off the cinnamon vanilla icing that I added. At first I couldn't figure out how the cereal would break down enough in the muffins since you don't ground them up before adding them. The cereal pieces are very crunchy and kind of hard right out of the box but after softening in the milk and then baking, they were visible but no crunch was left. I enjoyed these muffins a lot and they certainly are not very sweet which is why I chose to add the icing but then again, I just have a tremendous sweet tooth.










Cracklin' Oat Bran Apple Muffins


This recipe includes all my changes.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (I bet some wheat flour would be wonderful)
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups Cracklin Oat Bran cereal
1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 apple, diced


1. In mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set
aside.

2. In large mixing bowl, combine Cracklin Oat Bran cereal and
milk & vanilla. Let stand 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg and oil; mix
well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combine. Gently stir in apples. Portion batter evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups coated with cooking spray.

3. Bake at 400° F for 25 minutes or until lighly browned.

I left oven at 400 degrees for about 5-7 minutes then reduced temp to 375 degrees for remainder of baking. And I put my muffin pan on top of 2 stacked baking sheets to prevent the bottoms from overbrowning.

My icing consisted of powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon & whole milk. I made it pretty thick so it took awhile to drizzle over the sides of the muffins.













12 comments:

~ Chef Louise said...

I really like that last picture, yum.

Jess @ Sugar High said...

CRACKLIN' OAT BRAN MUFFINS!!! Those HAVE to be good! Looks like I know what cereal I'm buying next :)

Jess
asugarhigh.blogspot.com

cookies and cups said...

I love this cereal but they don't seem to carry it anymore at my local supermarket!
Your cupcakes sound great!

Katherine said...

I LOVE THAT CEREAL.

One time I actually took it out to "snack" on and ended up eating 3/4 of the box....oops! It's so delicious!

Quick question, can you taste the amazing flavors of the cereal in these??

Heidi said...

Ya know, the taste of the cereal is not really evident. I thought that the sweetness of the cereal would result in a sweeter muffin but it didn't. I know what you mean about snackin on this cereal. It's kind of addicting. I used to think of it as a healthy snack but now I realize that it has a lot of carbs, a lot of sugar and a lot of calories. I'm sure there is some nutrition in it but not as healthy as I had once thought.

Katherine said...

Haha you're right, you're right - it's deceptively posing as a "healthy" cereal. Sugar, carbs, no wonder we think it's so delicious!

Maybe trying our luck at a Cracklin Oat Bran Cookie might allow the taste to shine through more? Or as a crust for something...hmmm, I'll have to ponder that.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your day :)

Allison said...

Ah cracklin oat bran! I haven't thought about that cereal in years! Now I've got to go get a box!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

These muffins look really good. I have never had this cereal but I will be on the lookout for it!

Tanja said...

I left you something on my blog...:)

The Urban Baker said...

i'd like to eat those off the page!

Jogi Sb said...

You actually know how to bring a difficulty to light and work out windows 10 activator crucial.

Raja G said...

She came to find a lot of things, which include what idm crack is like to possess an excellent giving heart to make men and women quite simply learn about certain grueling matters.