Monday, June 14, 2010

Blueberry Blackberry Cream Muffins


Yeah! It's berry season! I love berries and I bought so many this past weekend. I cannot possibly eat them all so I had to find another use for them. This is my favorite blueberry muffin recipe so I used this recipe and added blackberries to the batter, along with the blueberries and I also added some oatmeal/brown sugar streusel. The results are amazing! I used my jumbo muffins tins that have crowns on them. I didn't even use paper liners but I sprayed the tins well and the muffins popped right out after baking. I baked these muffins on an upper rack and I put a double baking sheet underneath the muffin pans so the muffin bottoms would not get too brown. They turned out a perfect & even golden brown. This recipe includes a full 2 cups of sour cream. The first time I made them I thought that sounded like a lot of sour cream but it blends in beautifully helps create a nice moist muffin.













Blueberry Blackberry Cream Muffins

based on Blueberry Cream Muffins at allrecipes.com


Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sour cream
2 cups blueberries
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 24 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
2. In large bowl beat eggs, gradually add sugar while beating. Continue beating while slowly pouring in oil. Stir in vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking soda.
3. Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture alternately with sour cream. Gently fold in blueberries. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. If using streusel, sprinkle on top of the batter before placing in the oven.
. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.


Brown Sugar/Oatmeal Streusel

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons old fashion oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
6 tablespoons cold butter

6 comments:

~ Chef Louise said...

Those are some serious muffin tops. top of the muffin to ya!I have a bunch of black berries and blueberries too... think I will make a cobbler tomorrow...

Nicole@The Dirty Oven via twitter @ovenloving said...

They look great. I am always on the hunt for muffin recpies as I ususally bring them to work meetings. I will have to try this one out very soon. Thanks for posting.

Joyce said...

I am so happy to see your recipe and I like the topping as they are so delicious looking. I want to buy one of those bigger pans so I can make some giant muffins this summer with the abundance of all the fresh berries in the markets. I mad a muffin last week and will post friday that was so buttery and packed with calories in case anyone wanted to put on weight because they are too thin...oh sure!
Joyce

Heidi said...

I was just thinking that my favorite blueberry muffin recipe needs a yummy topping. Going to borrow yours.

Allison said...

I love any baked good with sour cream in it, so these are a must try! They look really moist.

urban muser said...

these look amazing. i love making muffins and will definitely try these.

also, thanks for your comments on my blog about my dog and my photos :) maybe we'll learn from each other, 'cause I am not a very good baker and your stuff is inspirational!