Sunday, May 23, 2010

Buttermilk Pound Cake


I had a large carton of buttermilk in the fridge that needed to be used on something. Buttermilk poundcake from allrecipes.com is what I decided on.
This is an excellent poundcake to be sure but it's not my favorite. It dense - like I believe a poundcake should be. It's moist, but I'm sure it could easily become dry if overbaked. And the flavor is wonderful and not too sweet. I added a vanilla bean and some almond extract to my batter and I also added some powdered sugar icing on top - flavored with clear vanilla. I bet this cake would be an excellent base for some fresh strawberry shortcake. It's certainly a good way to use up some buttermilk. I made a double recipe and it made 8 mini loaf pans AND a full bundt cake! I have a LOT of poundcake to eat!












Buttermilk poundcake
from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
(I added a teaspoon of almond extract & seeds from 1 vanilla bean)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease one 9 or 10 inch tube pan. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar. Mix in the eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon and the vanilla extracts. Gently mix in flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes. Do not open oven door until after one hour. When cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan it is done. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.





1 comment:

~ Chef Louise said...

I love your honesty, "good but not your favorite"... I too have buttermilk in my fridge as we speak... I typically make pancakes or biscuits. Out here in LA we have all these "food trucks", one is called -the Buttermilk truck... really cute