Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Peach bundt cake with buttery vanilla icing


I'm not so sure about this cake. I'm not crazy about it but it's ok. I'm going to post it anyway. As you can tell from my photos, I didn't bother making the cream cheese frosting. I didn't want to use my 1 block of cream cheese if I don't like the cake so much. For my icing, I just used some butter, powdered sugar, vanilla & splash of cream. I made it more into a thick glaze than a frosting. Plus, my cake was still slightly warm when I applied the glaze so the warmth really thinned it out. I tell ya one thing, this cake is really quick to put together and it uses canned peaches. That's so easy! It's not a tall cake, in fact it's pretty squat. It looks nothing like the cake on the website that I found the recipe on (see below - right before the recipe). This cake calls for 1 cup of oil. I usually don't say this but I'm thinking that amount is a bit much for such a small cake. The bundt pan is only about half full and my cake came out slightly greasy.

But overall, this cake is definitely edible and has nice cinnamon notes. It's moist and has a nice crunchy and nicely golden browned bottom. But would I make it again....probably not.




Peach Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
from the book All Cakes Considered
And found on the following website:
http://leitesculinaria.com/25032/recipes-peach-cake-cream-cheese-frosting.html


For the peach cake

Baking spray
3 large eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups sliced peaches, preferably canned
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

For the cream cheese frosting
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Method
Make the peach cake
1. Center a rack and preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line the bottom of a 10-inch tube pan with parchment paper and spray the sides and bottom with baking spray.

2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, and oil. Mix on medium speed until just blended.

3. In separate bowl, dry whisk the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon together. Add to the egg mixture and beat until just combined. The batter will be sticky.

4. With a spatula and or wooden spoon, fold in the peaches and nuts.

5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until the cake tests done.

6. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then unmold onto a cake rack. Allow to cool completely.

Make the cream cheese frosting
1. With the mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.

2 Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and ginger. Beat until smooth.

3. Apply the creamed cheese frosting to the cooled peach cake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just tried this recipe too.

It takes more like a muffin or quick bread than a cake.

My cake doesn't look like the photo in "All Cakes Considered", plus to get the frosting coverage shown in the photo you'd need to double the frosting recipe.