Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lime Coconut Bread/Cake


Hmmm? What to do with a Costco size bag of limes? I plan on making a lime cake this Tuesday so figured I'd save money by purchasing this inexpensive bag of limes. I have way more limes than I need for that cake so something else needed to be baked. I decided on this lime bread. I found it on the internet but I made so many changes to it, that I won't even bother connecting it to that recipe. This bread is soooo yummy and so tart! The icing really makes ya pucker! It's just a lot of lime juice, lime zest & powdered sugar. It has a kick, that's for sure. You could also add more zest then the recipe calls for. I sprinkled some flaked coconut on top of a few loaves but I don't know a lot of coconut lovers so I left it off most of the loaves. I did not add any of the coconut inside the bread but I suppose that would be wonderful as well. This recipe makes plenty of bread - 8 mini loaves & 1 large loaf. I suggest you remove it from the oven a little bit before you think it's done - or in other words, moist crumbs attached to the toothpick.
I really enjoyed this bread....actually, it's more like a cake. Kind of like a pound cake, really.
If you know someone who likes citrus or tart baked goods, then they will really dig this. The addition of coconut makes it kind of tropical. I bet some toasted chunks of macadamia nuts sprinkled on top of the icing would really add to the tropicalness of the cake.












Lime Coconut Bread & just Lime Bread

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 8 eggs
  • 5 tablespoons grated lime peel
  • 5-6 tablespoons lime juice (probably could add a bit more)
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 6 cups flour (I used 3 cups cake flour & 3 cups all-purpose but I'm sure all purpose would be fine on it's own)
  • 6 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 cups milk (I used 1 cup whipping cream & 1 cup 2% milk - but any milk would work fine - I just like mine super rich)

  • GLAZE:
  • confectioners' sugar - enough for desired consistency (I like my glaze really thick so I used about 4 cups)
  • lime juice from 2 to 3 limes
  • lime zest - I used about 1 limes worth of zest
  • Coconut if desired - about 1 -3 cups

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
  • in eggs. Beat in the lime peel, juice and vanilla. Combine the
  • flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture
  • alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.

  • Transfer to loaf pans that have been greased or sprayed.
  • Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
  • out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
  • racks.

  • Combine the confectioners' sugar, lime zest and lime juice to achieve
  • desired consistency; add more sugar or more juice to adjust consistency
  • drizzle over warm bread.
  • Sprinkle flaked or shredded coconut on top if desired. Cool completely.


No comments: