Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lime Cake

I wanted to make something with limes. I had lots of limes but did not want to make a Key Lime Pie or Lime Bars. I came across this Lime Cake recipe on the "The Cookie Shop" blog. She has such a pretty picture of the cake on her blog! The problem I had with this cake is that I have a really bad cold right now so I can taste absolutely nothing. So I guess there is no problem with the cake - the problem is with me. But the point is, I cannot comment on the flavor. The texture was fine. I think I might have baked it a bit too long because of a slight crumbliness. I filled mine with a lemon pie filling between the layers. I attempted to make the icing recipe below as well, but it didn't come out so good. It's sitting in the fridge at home until I can decide what to do with it. It came out really gritty and I had to add more butter than called for because it was really runny and I didn't want to add more sugar because it already had so much in it. So I ended up using a lot of extra ingredients and I don't want to just throw them down the drain. I ended up making an old fashion "Boiled Icing" recipe. It's a recipe that has flour & milk for a base. You thicken those 2 ingredients on the stove and then incorporate them (after they cool) into a sugar & butter mixture. It makes for a very light and fluffy icing and is not nearly as sweet as an American buttercream icing. I have a lot of people who request this icing specifically.


It's ashame that I can't comment more about this cake but I really tasted nothing. That's so frustrating to eat when you can't taste anything!! My husband liked it and took the rest to work with him. Everyone at worked raved about it!


There is the best kitchen store downtown Seattle called City Kitchens. They are having their big annual sale right now and I bought 3 Fat Daddio 9 inch cake pans. I like them because they are 3 inches deep. I prefer my cake layers thick. Now my triple layers cakes are TALL!



Ok, I realize this is kind of sad looking. You must take into consideration that I was feeling pretty sick and was having difficulties standing up for very long. I slopped the icing on in record time and called it good. A little lime zest on the top.



I must admit that the lemon pie filling was from a can of Wilderness pie filling. It was not too bad! I would use it again.



I put a really thick layer of icing on top. This icing is not too sweet so it's tolerable to have a thick layer. Besides, this was a tall cake so there was a lot more cake to icing ratio.







Granny Lime Cake

From "The Cookie Shop" Blog


This cake has a really delicate texture, very fluffy, with a mild lime aroma. It’s great without the frosting, with coffee or tea. The frosting is controversial – some just love it (me!), some may think it’s too much on the sweet side. In the original version you can really feel the sugar grains, so you can substitute with confectioner’s sugar if you like.


Ingredients for the cake:


2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tbsp lime zest
2 cups sugar
100g (1 stick) butter
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks (reserve the whites for the frosting)
1 cup milk

Ingredients for the frosting:


2 egg whites
50g (1/2 stick) butter
2 cups sugar
juice of 1 lime
lime zest to the taste


Make the Cake:


Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease two 20cm round pans with butter and dust with flour.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.


In the bowl of an electric mixer, rub the sugar and the lime zest with the tips of your finger until moist and fragrant. Add the butter and beat until white and fluffy. Add the yolks and the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, and beat until smooth.


Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake for 40min, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool to unmold and to frost.


For the frosting:


Beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add 1 cup of the sugar beat until white and fluffy.
In a clean bowl, beat the whites until firm peaks form. Gradually add the other cup of sugar and beat until firm and glossy. Add this meringue to the butter mixture and fold with a wire whisk. Add the lime juice and mix well. Cover the frosted cake with lime zest.


Old Time Vanilla Cream Icing
(out of my Southern Cakes cookbook)

2 tablespoons cornstarch or 4 tablespoons flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix cornstarch (or flour) with milk. Cook until thick, whisking the entire time. Set aside to cool. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and cooked cornstarch mixture slowly. Beat until it feels like whipped cream.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you were under the weather! The cake is gorgeous -- it LOOKS like it tastes delicious :D