Sunday, August 16, 2009

S'mores Cookie Bars


I do not know where I came across this recipe. It's been sitting in my recipe file for awhile and I have been meaning to make it. Today was the day! I love s'mores. I just love the gooey-ness of them. The melty marshmallows that stick to your fingers......the smooth warm chocolate that oozes out of the middle......the crunchy sweet graham crackers that makes the perfect little dessert sandwich. They are quite the perfect dessert for me. So simple and never disappointing. And of course - fun to make!

These bar cookies are definitely delicious and they resemble traditional s'mores but they are not s'mores. I've never had another bar cookie like these and that's what makes them so special. They are unique and I think they would be perfect for a summer bbq or picnic. They slice neatly, even when warm. The filling does not ooze out and the marshmallow is nicely contained in between the chocolate and topping and stays put. These are wonderful! I kind of skimped on the marshmallows when I made these but next time I think I will add the full amount. I was worried the marshmallows would puff up and ooze out everwhere but they kind of disappeared in way. Not totally disappeared, but definitely melted into the bar cookie kind of.

Yes, I recommend these wonderful cookies. Make them during these last beautiful weeks of summer and bring them to picnic or bbq!


I wrote in the recipe that it takes 7 or 8 Hershey bars. I think that is how many I used....I used a LOT, I do know that. I was kind of surprised how many I used.



Should have added more marshmallows!




Of course I tried these when they were warm!! After all, s'mores are always better when warm, right? They were so gooey and delish!




S'mores Cookie Bars

2 sticks or 1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
About 7 or 8 Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars (regular candy bar size)
6 cups miniature marshmallows

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 13x9 with foil and spray

Beat butter & sugar until well blended in large bowl. Add eggs & vanilla. Add flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Mix until well blended.

Press half of dough into the pan.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and immediately cover the cooked dough with chocolate bars - breaking the chocolate to fit, if needed. Sprinkle the chocolate bars with all of the marshmallows. Scatter bits of remaining dough over the top of the marshmallows. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the top & sides are lightly browned.

Cool on wire rack.





2 comments:

cookies and cups said...

I have seen this recipe too...They look delicious, I mean anything with that amount of chocolate couldn't be bad!!

Alisa said...

These are the kind of cookie bars that slide right down my mouth and go straight to my love handles. I still love them! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll make them soon! - Alisa@Foodista