Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Another Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe


Yet another chocolate chip cookie recipe. I want to say that this is the recipe from the New York Times but that's not totally true. How many changes can you make in a recipe before it's not really that particular recipe any longer? Anyway, it's "based" on the Jacques Torres New York Times recipe. It uses bread flour and cake flour. It's a great recipe but I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a chocolate chip cookie. People are very biased about their preference for chocolate chip cookies. My husband prefers thin, crunchy and slightly overdone. I like slightly underdone and thick and chewy. I like loads of chips and I like both milk & semisweet chips in them. I always use Guittard chips - that's my favorite brand. The Jacque Torres recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate disks - at least 60% cacao content. That's a little dark for me! I can tell you that the dough in this recipe is delicious! I ate a lot of it while preparing them. So overall this is another excellent recipe. I've made so many different chocolate chip cookie recipes and mostly all of them are absolutely wonderful and slightly different from the one before. I know a lot of folks don't have bread flour sitting around their house so I'm not sure how convenient this would be but if you do happen to have bread flour, this is a great way to use it.

I'm going to post the recipe as I found it in the New York Times. You can tweak it as you see fit. My changes were as follows:

I used a small amount of allpurpose flour to make up for my shortage of cake flour.
I melted my butter before blending it with the sugars.
I did not sprinkle sea salt on each cookie before baking.
I used regular chocolate chips.
I did not let the dough rest in the fridge for 24 to 36 hours like called for.
I set my oven temp at 320 degrees..










Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from Jacques Torres


2 cups minus 2 tablespoons

(8 1/2 ounces) cake flour

1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter

1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract

1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent cacao content

Sea salt.

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.

4. Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat warm, with a big napkin.

Yield: 1 1/2 dozen 5-inch cookies.







No comments: