Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Snickerdoodles

I baked a few different things yesterday but these snickerdoodles are the only thing I managed to take photos of. This is a recipe that I found on allrecipes.com about 2 years ago. It is my "go to" snickerdoodle recipe. It's a classic snickerdoodle recipe. It is wonderful & satisfying. It's such a simple cookie, really. It's has a nice crispy texture and the sparkling sugar that I use to roll the dough in adds some extra crunch. You can't leave out the cream of tarter in the recipe although it may seem like an optional ingredient. I'm not exactly sure what it adds to the cookie but it gives it a distinctive quality. I know cream of tarter tends to tenderize like lemon juice or vinegar but I don't think it plays that role here. Also, don't be tempted to substitute more butter instead of the shortening. Shortening definitely gives the cookies more crunch factor and there is already enough butter to add wonderful flavor. Anyway, I'm surprised at how many people do not know what a snickerdoodle is. I grew up on them so I guess in my small world, I assumed that everyone loved them like I did! As far as looks go, I don't think that snickerdoodles will win any beauty contest. In fact, I kind of had a difficult time photographing them because they just do not look good in any position and/or light like most yummy cookies. They are so flat and dull looking. So deceiving because what a treat when you bite into them! Some people like their snickerdoodles kind of thick and cakey - these aren't that kind (although this recipes turns out thicker for some people, mine tend to be flat). Give it a try! This is a fun cookie for kids to help out with. They love rolling the little balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar mixture.



I bought 2 huge containers of this sparkling sugar from Amazon.com. I use it for sugar cookies, to sprinkle on muffins and to use in my sugar mixture for snickerdoodles. I use 1/2 sparkling sugar & 1/2 granulated sugar. I always find that I need more cinnamon/sugar mixture than the recipe below calls for.

I set my oven at 350 degrees instead of 400. I think 400 degrees will ensure that your finished cookie will be more chewy on the inside. 350 degrees gives the cookie more time to thoroughly bake before browning too quickly on the outside which gives it a more crunchy texture throughout.



Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles
from allrecipes.com

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar ( I use a mix of granulated and sparklin or sanding sugar)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, eggs & vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda & salt. Shape dough into balls (sometimes it helps to refrigerate the dough first).

Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar & the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in sugar/cinammon mixture. Place 2 inches apart of cookie sheet

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set, edges will be golden. Remove immediately from cookie sheets and place on wire rack to cool.





No comments: