Monday, May 4, 2009

Another brownie recipe

Today's brownie recipe is from the cookbook Amy's Bread. Amy's Bread is a very popular bakery in New York City (one that hopefully I will get to see later this month!). This brownie recipe is pretty amazing. First of all, the recipe has only 1/2 cup flour! Wow! I made a double recipe (I always make a double recipe of everything I bake) and put it in an 11x17 pan. It's hard to believe that my whole pan contained only 1 cup flour. So needless to say, these brownies are very fudgy and moist. I highly recommend them. They would have been tasty without an icing but I like everything sweeter & gooey-er so I put a ganache type icing on them which kind of did not turn out but that's a whole other story and they still tasted good. So if you know someone who likes a fudgy type brownie as opposed to a cakey one, then this is your recipe. Try it out. Of course you can always add nuts but I never do because I don't like them and neither does my family.







Brownies from Amy's Bread

3 & 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Nuts are optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 9/13 pan ( I line the pan with foil - making sure there is an overhang on each side, then spray the foil with Pam)

Melt butter, half the chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Let mixture cool to warm.

Whisk sugar, eggs, and vanilla just until mixed.Don't overmix or it will result in crumbly brownies. Fold in the warm chocolate mixture.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Fold dry ingredients into chocolate mixture until just combined - don't overmix. Stir in remaining chips & nuts (if using), mixing until just combined.

Pour & spread the batter evenly into your prepared pan. Bake for 32-36 minutes. The edges will be slightly firm and the center will be soft when they are fully baked. Do not overbake. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

* These brownies will appear quite underbaked when they are actually fully baked. Pull them out of the oven before you suspect they are done. The center of my pan still looked shiney & gooey but when they totally cooled, that part was the fudgiest. Since I line my pan with a large piece of foil, after my brownies have mostly cooled, I grab the overhanging foil and lift the whole thing out of the pan and onto the wire rack to finish cooling. When they are totally cooled, I just pull back the foil and cut them all at once with a very large knife. It's much much easier to cut bars/brownies nicely when you can make one large cut straight across and it's easier to remove the pieces also.

* If you want to frost them, use any chocolate icing recipe or a ganache recipe. Ice them after they have cooled.





No comments: